These cupcakes are something quite different. Even though I’m not a fan of most frosting, I believe it really makes these a little bit better. Especially when you use this AWESOME fluffy peanut butter frosting. Seriously, it’s like the best I ever had.
But back to how these are different. For one thing, the cake batter doesn’t taste like a normal cake batter. It will have quite minuscule chunks in there, but that’s because of the applesauce. Another thing, is that when they’re done baking- they make look pretty puffed up but they kind of deflate a few minutes later. They’re quite light-which is always a plus for me.
However, these are “healthy”, so I do suppose that’s another word for compromise. Which is why I needed to add the peanut butter frosting. They might have tasted not quite so hot if it wasn’t there. You’re definitely gonna need to try this frosting! It’s so, so, sooo good! Honestly, it’s just one of those things you GOT to have.f
Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes
1 c. flour
3 1/2 T. Cocoa Powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
Chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake tins with liners.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside for later.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add vanilla. Beat in flour mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, if desired. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Frost cupcakes if desired with below frosting.
Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. creamy peanut butter
2 T. milk, or as needed
2 c. powdered sugar
- Beat the butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer. Gradually mix in the powdered sugar, and when it starts to get thick, add in the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it is at the consistency you like. Beat for at least 3 minutes for it to get food and fluffy.
- Either spread on cupcakes, or put in piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes.
Got any tasty healthy dessert recipes??