Ahh sorry about the weird title. I feel like I need to be making creative titles and “Oven Baked Fries” was just not gonna cut it.
The other night my family was having pub burgers. (YUM!) And of course since we are Midwestern we have to have some type of potato-y thing with it. So I decided to make some good ‘ol oven baked fries because I was not about to put a bag of chips on the dinner table.
They really are super super simple. You don’t even have to peel any potatoes!! Here’s how you do it…
First you have to make sure all your potatoes are cleaned off
Then you start cutting them into fries. You can use a french fry cutter or if you have a setting on your mandolin for fries that’ll work fine too. I cut them by hand and it took maybe 5 minutes, really easy. I cut mine in half length-wise and then into about 1/4 inch strips.After you finish cutting them up, you need to soak them in hot water in a large bowl. And while their soaking in the bowl, you should coat an 18 by 12-inch heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet with about 4 tablespoons oil and sprinkle evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. By now, you potatoes should be just about done soaking, so it’s time to drain them. Dry them by setting them onto paper towel, then kind of just dabbing them dry. Now you need to rinse and wipe out that bowl you just used and put the dried potatoes back into the bowl. Toss the potatoes with your spices and one tablespoon of oil. You really can jazz this up any way you like, I actually even used a little bit off BBQ seasoning that I got when I was in Memphis. Once your potatoes are seasoned to your taste, arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 5 minutes in your 475 degree oven.When they are done with their first 5 minutes, take off the foil and keep on baking until the bottoms of the potatoes start to brown. 15-20 minutes. You should try to keep rotating the pan every 10 minutes for even browning. When they are brown on the bottoms, scrape the pan with a spatula to loosen the potatoes and flip them over, continue baking until the fries are golden and crispy. About 5-15 minutes more-keep rotating the pan as needed. Transfer the fries to another baking sheet, lined with paper towels, to drain. Toss with parsley, pepper, salt or any other desired seasonings. Enjoy!!
Oven Baked Fries
(base from The Pixelated Crumb )
5 T. vegetable oil
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. oregano
1 t. paprika
1 1/2 t. BBQ seasoning
1/4 t. chili powder
- Lower the oven rack to the lowest possible position and preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Wash you potatoes and cut them into fries. Cut them in half length-wise first, then into 1/4 inch fries. In a large bowl, cover the potato slices with hot water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Coat an 18 by 12-inch rimmed baking sheet with 4 tablespoon oil and sprinkle evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 t. pepper and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and then dry them by spreading them out on a few layers of paper towels. Use more towels to pat them dry. Rinse and wipe out the bowl and return the potatoes to the bowl to toss with the seasonings and 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange the fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the bottoms of the potatoes start to brown. Rotating the pan every 10 minutes will help even baking.
- Scrape the pan with a spatula and tongs to loosen potatoes from the pan, then turn the fries over, keeping them in a single layer. Keep baking until the fries are golden brown and slightly crisp. Transfer the fries to a second baking sheet lined with paper towel to drain. Toss with any additional desired seasonings.
Have an awesome day!! :)