I will give you an example here. My wonderful mother saw this article with a coconut cream pie recipe in the newspaper about a week ago. Being the coconut fan she is, she wanted me to make the pie. So, being the amazing daughter I am , I decided to make this pie.
This pie, is delicious. This pie also flows like the Mississippi River. Seriously, it doesn’t set. Like ever. I’ve been waiting, my momma’s been waiting. We had to give in. So I scooped up a slice, plopped it on a plate, took some pictures and then figured it would’ve been a good idea to use a bowl.
Coconut Cream Pie
4 egg yolks
2 c. milk 1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 c. sweetened coconut
2 T. butter
1 t. coconut extract
1 c. whipping cream, whipped (see note)
1 pre-baked 9-inch pie shell, see note (I used my recipe)
- Combine yolks, milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy saucepan; mix well.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture bubbles. Reduce heat to low; stir in 3/4 c. coconut and butter. Cook, stirring, until it thickens, 10 minutes. Stir in extract; remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into prepared baked pie shell. Spread with whipped cream. Sprinkle with remaining coconut (see note). Chill until firm and set. (HA, mine never got there..)
- Whipping Cream: I used a hand mixer and whipped them up until the had soft peaks. Then on low, I beat in a tablespoon of powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla until the whipped cream was to the stiffness I like.
- Coconut note: I turned the oven on to 350 and toasted the coconut for about 5 minutes until they got nice a brown, keep an eye on them!!
- Wordless Wednesday: looks good, tastes bad Coconut Pie #wordlesswednesday (thismamacooks.com)
- Fresh Blueberry Pie, Oh My! (mybeautifuldisasters.wordpress.com)
- Sour Cream Coconut Delight (mydailybreadbodyandsoul.com)