While I love good ‘ol Chicago Style Deep Dish pizza to death, I’ve gotta mix things up every once in a while. There is this awesome little pizza place by us that my family has gone to a lot for their BBQ chicken pizza since I was real little, but they’re prices are completely jacked!!! I mean it is ridiculous. They have some of the most delicious tasting BBQ chicken pizza I’ve ever tasted. It’s sooo good. Beyond words. One thing I could do without is their pool of grease on top that you get sometimes. I always have to wipe mine with napkins (notice plural? napkins). Yuck. But then it’s tasty. Also since it’s so expensive it’s kinda a treat for us and we don’t get it super often. Thus, I decided to finally make my own with my lovely mama. We decided to kick up the nutrition factor and I made the whole wheat crust. She helped assemble and prepare the toppings and put it all together. This pizza definitely rivals the one from the place we’ve been buying from for years. Between the absence of grease puddles and the slightly sweet but tasty crust, we’ve got ourselves a winner.Oh and I almost forgot to mention our little trooper over here!Harry had to get surgery to get a yucky mole removed. He has to have that cone thing on for 2 whole weeks!!! I feel horrible when he tries to give us kisses and the cone just kinda prevents him…but it’s a wee bit funny. But mostly sad yet adorable! (Does anyone else think his stitches look a wee bit like Harry Potter??)Anyways back to pizza!! You must make this recipe because for one it’s super easy. You don’t even have to make the crust, you can buy one!! I won’t be offended Plus it’s super tasty!!! And surprisingly filling. But I’ll let you be the judge of that! Eat up
Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza
1/2 Red onion, sliced
about 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
about 2 c. Mozzarella cheese
1 lb. Chicken, diced and cooked
about 1/2 c. (enough to coat bottom of crust) BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out pizza crust and place in pan. Spread barbecue sauce on top evenly. Sprinkle half the Parmesan cheese. Top with onion, followed by chicken, then mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes
(adapted from How Sweet It Is)
1 packet active dry yeast
3/4 c. warm water
2 c. Whole Wheat flour
2 T. Honey
2 T. Olive Oil + more to rub on bowl
1/2 t. salt
- Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together.
- Once yeast is foamy, add in olive oil and honey and stir. Mix into flour and kneed to create a dough. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Place in an olive oil-rubbed bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.