I recently saw this cake on Picky Palate and couldn’t have been more ecstatic!
It seriously couldn’t have been better timing. One of my best friend’s birthdays was coming up and I wanted to make her something special but I was having the hardest time deciding what to make.Well Jenny made things easy for me by introducing me to this adorable little cake!I of course added my own flair to it. One of the alterations was actually an accident but I think it made it turn out an even better cake with the change. I accidentally added the melted chocolate chips to the cake batter. No bigger either way! You just have to be sure to bake a little longer.(^ Just so you can see that this is actually a mini cake! It looks so cute next to the vitamin water!)
Another change I made was that I used my fluffy peanut butter frosting recipe for the filling in between the layers. Overall I was pretty happy with how the cake turned out. I know my frosting skills definitely have room for improvement, though! Guess I’m gonna just have to make more cake. Practice makes perfect, right?
Layered Cake for One
(idea from Picky-Palate)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chip, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spry 12.5 ounce can or large ramekin with non stick cooking spray.
2. Place flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking soda, egg, oil and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals until smooth. Pour into bowl and mix all ingredients until well combined. Mix in melted chocolate chips
3. Pour batter into prepared can or ramekin and bake for 28-32 minutes or until baked through. Remove and loosen edges with a knife. Let cool for 10 minutes then remove from can or ramekin by flipping over firmly. Let cool completely then cut in half lengthwise.
4. Fill with frosting of your choice, I used my fluffy peanut butter frosting recipe and quartered the ingredients to make a smaller amount. Top with other half of cake.
5. Frost with chocolate frosting. Top with additional desired toppings.
(from Picky Palate)
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Place butter and powdered sugar in small bowl, mixing to combine and add melted chocolate, mixing until combined.
- Have you met Herman the Friendship Cake? A recipe blog (showard76.wordpress.com)
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Scones (jenawix.wordpress.com)
- Double Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake (ridingtheifcrazytrain.wordpress.com)