As most of you probably already know, I am in the Secret Recipe Club. If you do not know much about it, I recommend looking here! It’s a super fun way to discover new blogging buddies and get your own blog out there a little bit! I know I really have had a ton of fun with it so far, not only looking at the blogs I have been assigned, but also looking at the amazing list of the rest of the bloggers.
Anyways, the blog that I was assigned for this month was Sarah’s blog, called Fanatical Sharing of Recipes. Just after reading the first sentence in Sarah’s “about” page, I gained a huge amount of respect for her. She is a 23 year old mom to two and an army wife. Wow! I can not even imagine how difficult that must be, but hey at least shes got some pretty darn tasty recipes to deal with the lemons she’s been given in her life.
I finally decided to try her Brown Sugar Chewies. To be honest, I had mixed feelings going into this one. For those of you who have read my blog a little before, you have probably notice I’m more of a chocolate kind of gal.
However, these bars are totally amazing! No chocolate and I love them. I repeat: no chocolate… They kind of remind me of a pecan pie. But in bar form, without a crust. They’re just totally delicious and super easy. Give them a try and stop over by Sarah’s blog and say hi!
Brown Sugar Chewies
(from the wonderful Sarah)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting-if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 x 8 pan.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, but make sure it is big enough that you will be able to fit the rest of the ingredients in there.
- Once butter is melted, turn off the heat and add in the brown sugar and stir until it is smooth. Stir in egg. Mix in vanilla and pecans.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. The dough may seem hard to spread or it might not seem like enough to fit the pan, but don’t worry, it should be a fairly thin layer. Bake in preheated oven for 20-23 minutes.
- Let bars cool and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Have a Happy New Year everyone!!!
Random Fact of the Day: There are 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000 ways to shuffle a deck of cards!