Anyways, balance is something I should probably practice more of, which is why I’m starting to make a few more like real foods. Personally, chocolate and cupcakes are real food to me but apparently the food pyramid (or whatever the new thing is that’s going around..”my plate” I think?) doesn’t agree. Silly “my plate”
But back to the soup here that I made. Did I mention I made soup before? Well here I did. If you have ever been to this little amazing place called Panera, you may have heard of this soup. Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Practically a bowl of hopes and dreams…healthy style of course. (We all know that if it wasn’t healthy, I’d be talking about a bowl of ice cream).
Soup is WAY, WAY, WAY easier to make than I ever would have thought. Another bonus is that you probably have almost all the ingredients already in your house. These were the only ingredients (below) that I actually had to go to the store to buy, but many of you probably already have this stuff in your house.
Preparing this soup took me about 30-45 minutes. People who cook often for themselves and their families can probably make it faster than myself. Chopping the onions really slowed me down. Man, was I a mess! I looked like a middle school girl who just got dumped by her boyfriend. (ahh…middle school relationships)But really, I’ve got a super low tolerance for onions. I practically had my eyeballs a centimeter away from a candle to try and get the tears to cease but they just wouldn’t quit!
This soup is really one you can do a lot to play with. Using different types of cheese could add a nice element or if you’re a big veggie fan you can up the broccoli. Using cream or half and half will give you a heavier, but creamier soup. Adding different spices can also make it a little more interesting.
Hope you all enjoy this soup sometime soon. But don’t fear, more sweet treats will be comin’ atchya later!
P.S. I had some of that Red Hen Bread with this that I was talking about the other day…perfection! So delicious dipped in the soup. I’m a total sucker for good bread and soup!!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onions
2 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
16 oz. broccoli florets (I used a bag of the frozen kind)
3 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium and reduced fat)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 oz. cheese, cubed (I used velvet 2% milk cheese)(processed cheese melts best even though the idea of using processed food may make you cringe)
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté minced garlic and chopped onion for about 3 minutes until tender. Add chicken broth and broccoli. Heat oven medium-high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour until blended. After cooking for 10 minutes, add milk mixture to broccoli mixture on stove. Cook for about 5 minutes or until it becomes slightly thick-don’t stop stirring! Stir in pepper. Remove from heat and add cubed cheese, stirring until cheese melts. It will probably take about 5 minutes for all the cheese to become fully incorporated.
- Ladle about 1/3 of the coup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. I processed mine quite a bit and it came out a very green, smooth mixture. If you prefer a chunkier soup, you might want to process less than me and just pulse the soup or even skip this step all together.
- Return processed soup mixture to pan and serve!
Random Fact of the Day: Women end up digesting most of the lipstick they apply.
- Aged White Cheddar and Broccoli Soup with Chorizo (thegourmandmom.com)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Beef Noodle Stew & More This Week’s Recipes (thekitchn.com)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (thecooksnextdoor.com)