Yesterday was my wonderful mama’s birthday! To celebrate, we ate cake
Of course I made a cake, by her request. It obviously included chocolate. And whipped cream. And mousse.
She’s a smart lady ;).
Anyways, it was really great to celebrate a day dedicated to my mom. She’s a great woman who I love with all my heart. She has taught me so much in life that nobody else could have ever taught the same. She has loved like no one else could ever love. She has cooked liked no other person could ever cook!
I love my mom so much, that is hard for me to even find the right words to express how much she means to me.
She is the one who always believes in me, no matter how crazy my ideas and ambitions are. She is the one who always encourages me to go beyond my comfort zone. She is the one who always knows how I’m really feeling and how to make it all better (many times involving hugs and kisses<–including the chocolate kind). My mom means the world to me and I feel so lucky to have been blessed to have her in my life.
I love you mom!
P.S. nice choice on the cake flavor combos. deee-lish!
Mom’s Birthday Cake
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 cup plus 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 1 (6-inch) springform cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa powder, and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- Cream butter and sugar together in mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. There will be extra. You can either make cupcakes, whoopie pies, or freeze the batter for later use with the extra batter.
- Bake batter that is in prepared cake pan in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when touched and toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Let cool on wire rack for 25 minutes. Invert out of cake pan and onto wire rack. Cool an additional 30 minutes. Pop in fridge for 15 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise. Assemble with mouse filling, then frost with whipped cream.
Chocolate Mousse Filling
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Whip cream with mixer using whisk attachment. When cream takes on whipped cream appearance, mix in melted chocolate until thoroughly combined. Spread on top of bottom cake layer. Let set in fridge for 30 minutes before topping with top cake layer.
Whipped Cream [Frosting]
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, or to taste
chocolate syrup, for decoration
- Whip heavy cream with powdered sugar in mixer using whisk attachment. Add more powdered sugar or use less depending on how sweet you want your whipped cream. Stop mixer once cream has stiff peaks and takes on whipped cream appearance. Frost tops and sides of cake. Finish cake with drizzle of chocolate syrup, if desired.
- Flat Cake from Florence – Schiacciata Fiorentina (chowmamma.com)
- A Friday the 13th pick me up: Strawberry, Whipped Cream Angel Food Cake (justagirlandherpups.com)
- Captain America Birthday Cake (neatorama.com)