Remember that BBQ chicken grilled cheese sandwich that I made before? I pretty much wanted to marry that baby. It was a miraculous creation, if I do say so myself.
Anyhow, I made almost the same thing except quesadilla style! I LOVE quesadillas, just about as much as I love grilled cheese. If you think about it, I guess quesadillas are pretty much the tortilla version of a grilled cheese. Enough of this thinking nonsense, though!
Let’s make quesadillas! Super, super easy! I love making quesadillas and this was super simple, pretty much the same steps to make the bbq grilled cheese sandwich, except with a tortilla.
Oh, and did you see that up there!?! A slideshow! I’m feeling pretty fancy and techie right now Those pictures basically show you the steps to making these quesadillas, but as usual, I will give you all the directions below!
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
(for one quesadilla, makes 3 small triangles-serves one!)
1/4 cup caramelized onions
1/2 cup chicken, cooked
1/4 cup BBQ sauce, separate
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons bacon bits (optional)
butter or oil
- In a small bowl, combine caramelized onions, cooked chicken, and 2 Tablespoons of BBQ sauce until thoroughly mixed and combined. Set aside.
- Heat pan with about a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. When hot and butter is melted, place tortilla in pan. Flip tortilla every 30-45 seconds, until large bubbles start to form.
- Turn down the heat to low. Spread remaining BBQ sauce on tortilla in thin layer across entire tortilla. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over BBQ sauce. Drop caramelized onions and chicken on ONE HALF of the tortilla (this is important that you just put this on one half, or else you will have chicken and onions everywhere). Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bacon bits (if using) over entire tortilla.
- With the heat on as low as possible, place a lid over on top for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, or until mozzarella is melty.
- Fold the tortilla, flipping the side that doesn’t have chicken on it over the side that does have the chicken and onions on it. Place on a plate, cut into triangles, and ENJOY!
- this recipe is super flexible, use your own judgement on the amounts of stuff you like on here. I’m not a huge BBQ sauce person so I like to go light on mine-do as YOU like!
- this would be super awesome with black beans, too! (for some reason I feel like baked beans could be kind of good on here, too weird??)
- BBQ Ranch Cajun Chicken Quesadillas (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- BBQ Chicken Pizza – Using Up The Leftovers (praycookblog.com)
- Smokey’s Lunch and Pizza Specials Wednesday May 30th (smokeystavern.wordpress.com)