Last Monday of the month… Secret Recipe Club time!! SRC pulls through, again, to make your Mondays a little brighter.
I’m very excited to share with you guys the blog and recipe that I explored this month! I was assigned Angel’s Homestead. Side note: she had my blog last month! Weird, right?! Okay so back to Angel’s Homestead, she is like the mama bear of the whole Secret Recipe Club. After Amanda decided to focus on her blog(s) more, April (from Angel’s Homestead) decided to step up to the plate and run the show. She has done a super job of keeping the club fun and remembering the purpose it was created for in the first place.
April is a hardworking mom that actually home schools her kids! I’m super impressed by that, I can’t imagine how busy she must be juggling her blog, handling SRC, homeschooling, and taking care of her family. We both have fairly similar philosophies in regards to our blog’s recipes. Nothing gourmet, but simple, tasty, and easy to make food. You can read more about April here!
I tend to be super biased towards treats, so I was REALLY tempted to make one of her goodies, like these Snickers Cookies, but I decided to go with her moist buttermilk cornbread recipe. I have been meaning to make some good, homemade cornbread for quite some time now so this recipe really called out to me! My family usually just makes the typical cornbread from the Jiffy box, but homemade cornbread just sounds like it would be so much better. Indeed it was. I under baked mine a little bit, so it was slightly gooey in the center.
So I may have taken the whole “moist” aspect a little far, but hey, Casey doesn’t like no dry cornbread! If you don’t have a go-to cornbread recipe yet, you should definitely try this recipe out! Heck, even if you are using your grandma’s legendary cornbread recipe, TRY this one. It will knock your socks off. It has the perfect amount of sweetness, a good amount of corn-flavor, and is NOT dry! Be sure to check out April’s other awesome recipes, and the other great SRC posts that are being shared today (below).
Moist Buttermilk Cornbread
(From Angel’s Homestead)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1 cup buttermilk (I used low fat)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour (I used half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a small 6 inches cast iron skillet, or if you don’t have one of these, a small baking dish will work. An 8 inch baking pan is fine, I used a 6 inch springform pan. Place greased baking dish in oven as it preheats.
- Melt butter, then stir in star and eggs and beat until well blended. Be sure you add the sugar first so the butter cools down and doesn’t scramble the eggs.
- Stir in buttermilk and baking soda into the mixture. Mix in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into prepared pan (Be careful and don’t forget the pan is hot when you pour it in! Use oven mitts)
- Baking in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Enjoy!
- buttermilk skillet cornbread (cooking-spree.com)
- Yea for me – Buttermilk Cornbread – Gluten Free! (joyinyourkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Fluffy Cornbread that is cripsy on the bottom like momma used to make (caraharpole.wordpress.com)