With all these pumpkin recipes around here lately, I feel like you guys may think that I have forgotten apples are kind of a big deal around this time of year.
Fear not, ladies and gents.
Apples are here.
In pull-apart bread form! I have been meaning to make pull-apart bread, for like ever! I was always going to make the regular cinnamon-sugar kind that most people have made…but I thought, what the hay, I’m gonna stick some apples in there.
Good call, Casey, good call.
Especially because now there are apples in there, it makes this bread like super healthy, right? You basically lose calories by eating it. It’s true.
Apple Pull-Apart Bread
FOR THE DOUGH:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup butter
FOR THE FILLING:
5 apples, peeled and diced
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Grease or spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, cook apples, brown sugar, vanilla extract, butter, cinnamon, and cornstarch until thickened. This look me about 15-20 minutes over medium-low heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until it bubbles (about 1 minute over medium-high heat). Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until melted and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add flour, yeast, salt, and brown sugar. Whisk until combined. Add water, egg, and milk-butter mixture, and mix together with wooden spoon until it forms into a ball. Knead on a clean, floured surface for 5 additional minutes.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle. Evenly spread apple mixture over dough and cut into squares. I cut mine into about 20 squares. Stack the squares into your bread pan. Be sure to get apple in between every layer, it helps to turn the pan on it’s end to stack.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan for a couple hours, then remove from pan and store on plate or in tupperware container and enjoy!
Random Fact of the Day: A person swallows approximately 295 times while eating dinner.