What Not To Do When Teaching Swim Lessons
- Hold onto a kid’s arm who has just been freshly applied with sunscreen. You will be one slippery person who feels greasy enough to be sold with a cheeseburger for a dollar.
- Wear a loose bathing suit. You will immediately regret it when they pull onto every strap and everybody gets see how far along you are in your womanhood. Lovely.
- Bring food for the kids on their last day. A nice, simple cookie will turn into a big fiasco with questions like, is it gluten-free? is it peanut-free? is it store-bought? is it gonna make me gassy? are there any drinks to go with it?
- Volunteer to take the crying kid on the first day. They never really stop crying. For the whole 2 weeks.
- Be the instructor in the back of the crowd. Your kid will cry to your manager saying your hiding. Gosh, kids can be so smart.
As you may have guessed, I teach swim lessons. You’re so smart!!!! Anyhow, I really haven’t done all those. Honest! Seriously though, you would not believe some of the crap these instructors get away with doing. I’m sure you’ll hear about that some other time though.
This job really wears me out…
Boy, this one was actually pretty darn easy as I’m sure you can probably tell. However, I’m really not much of a person who frosts cookies much, so frosting these took me a really, really long time. They really do turn out super yummy though, and really cute!! The original recipe I used, used up the entire bag of animal crackers. I would recommend using the recipe below, though which is the halved version of what I did. Unless of course you’re feeling super ambitious!
Frosted Animal Crackers
(adapted recipe from Dessert First)
1 bag of Animal Crackers
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 T. lemon juice
1 egg white
food dye, optional
- Beat the powdered sugar, lemon juice and egg white with a mixer on high for a couple minutes until the icing thickens and turns whiteish and has an opaque appearance. It’s important to keep your icing covered when you’re not using it, it WILL dry out!
- Separate the frosting into different bowls, if you plan on coloring them different colors with food dye.
- Spread frosting on animal crackers and place on cookie sheet for frosting to dry. Sprinkle on sprinkles immediately after frosting.
- Store in Tupperware and enjoy!