I’m a pretty big fan of Qdoba and Chipotle’s burrito bowls. Not a big person for the whole burrito thing…but when you put all the yummy insides in a bowl, then you have my attention!
Burrito bowls are one of the world’s easiest dishes to make. Swear. Like they practically show you how to do it at Chipotle and Qdoba. Not really any secret to it. Just like any other recipe, the ingredients that you put in it are what makes it the way it is.
So here is how I made mine, first I made a pretty big batch of quinoa. I cooked 1 cup raw quinoa in 2 cups of water, according to the package directions. Feel free to use rice or whatever you like in place of the quinoa. Once the quinoa was prepared, I actually put mine in a container in the fridge till I was ready to use it. Once I actually was making the full recipe, I added in a bunch of spices: cilantro, my spice mix, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. What can I say, I like it flavorful!
After I prepared the quinoa, I made sure my lettuce was all clean and chopped up and set that aside.
Then, I heated up about 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil and sautéed 1/4 of a small onion (chopped) and 1/4 bell pepper (cut into small strips) until onions were translucent and tender. Then I added in the corn and black beans and 2 Tablespoons of salsa. I mixed everything all around in the skillet for about a minute or two, then took it all off the heat.
I began the layering by having the quinoa in the bottom of my bowl, layered about 1/3 of the lettuce on top of the quinoa, layered 1/2 of the hot skillet mixture on top of the lettuce, placed another 1/3 of the lettuce on top of that, then the remaining 1/2 of the skillet mixture, the rest of the lettuce, and topped it off with a sprinkle of cheese and plop of salsa. “Plop” is the precise measurement.
I hope you all get the chance to try this soon, I loved it so much I had it 2 nights in a row! It’s a great way to use up some leftover rice or quinoa you have sitting in the fridge. I even made mine meatless (despite my love for chicken burrito bowls) and did not even miss the meat!! Happy Wednesday.
Quinoa Burrito Bowl(s)
(easily adjustable to make for more than one, just double, triple or whatever the amounts to make for your groupies)
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon taco seasoning (I used my recipe)
about 2-3 teaspoons chopped cilantro (I used this stuff that I found in the grocery store)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 small onion, diced
1/4 bell pepper, cut into small strips
1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1-1 1/2 cups lettuce, chopped into small pieces
1/3 cup corn
1/4 cup black beans
3 Tablespoons salsa
2 Tablespoons shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Heat up cooked quinoa in a bowl, with spices plopped on top of the quinoa, in the microwave for about 45-60 seconds. Mix quinoa once heated with a fork to get spices fully incorporated into quinoa. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat up olive oil and sauté onion and bell pepper until onions are tender and translucent. Once you can tell the onions are done, add in the corn, black beans and 2 Tablespoons of salsa. Mix around and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Layer bowl starting with quinoa on the bottom, then about 1/2 cup lettuce, after that add half of the onion skillet mixture, top with about 1/2 cup lettuce, then add the remaining half of the onion skillet mixture, add the remaining lettuce, top with about 1 Tablespoon of salsa and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Mix everything all together until fully mixed and enjoy!
Random Fact of the Day: Cleopatra was actually Greek, not Egyptian.
- Recipe: Quinoa Burrito Bowl (catchthemoments.net)
- quinoa burrito bowls with black beans, corn, and avocado. (peachesandcake.com)
- Guest Recipe: Quinoa and Kale Patties (kcet.org)