You curious about the name of this cupcake? Good, good, that was the idea! If you weren’t then sorry, have fun looking at the pictures here.
My dad is a coconut fan. A fanatic really.
It feels like literally every time we are on vacation and go to an ice cream shop, the first thing he goes for is anything with the word coconut in it. When I was younger I was totally and completely disgusted with the thought of coconut in
ice cream any dessert. It was like a waste of dessert in my mind.
Anywho, I have my dad to thank for helping me come around and appreciate coconut and all it’s goodness. So here is his cupcake. (By the way, his name is Joe)
He particularly enjoys coconut accompanied with chocolate. So I decided to make a cupcake that would make him happy. These cupcakes start out with a dark chocolate cake, topped with coconut cream cheese frosting, drizzled with chocolate.
Some of the cupcakes I stuffed with coconut cream Hershey kisses, when there was 2 minutes left to bake, but most of them don’t have them just because the idea came to me with 2 minutes left in the second baking pan’s turn. Oh well good idea for next time!
The “Joe” Cupcake
DARK CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
(Makes 12-16 cupcakes)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa powder)
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line regular cupcake tins.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa powder, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Into a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar together with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture. Add the cocoa mixture. Pour batter into prepared cupcake tins.
- Bake in preheated oven 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool in tins, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. When thoroughly cooled, frost with frosting below.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
6 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used neufchâtel)
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2/3 cup shredded coconut
milk, as needed
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Add the powdered sugar and mix until desired consistency is achieved. Add milk as needed to thin frosting out if it gets too thick, or add more powdered sugar if frosting gets too thin. When desired consistency is achieved, fold in the shredded coconut. Frost cupcakes as desired.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in plastic bag in 30 second intervals, snip tip of bag when chocolate is melted and drizzle chocolate over frosted cupcakes. Place cupcakes in fridge until ready to serve.
Random Fact of the Day: All porcupines float in water.