Eeeek! Prom is tomorrow. I feel like I was seriously just writing the overview of prom weekend from last year, weird how the time flies!!
I’ve been my uber busy self this week. It is like everything that I need to do for senior year has been piled into one week. We have AP tests starting this Monday after prom weekend (yeah, our school is that cruel) and then I had senior night for soccer last night, the soccer program pasta dinner Wednesday night, a game Tuesday night, and several tests and practice AP tests throughout the week that the teachers have been throwing at us to be prepared for next week.
Thankfully, my dress was bought and altered with plenty of time before this week and my appointments were scheduled for hair and such pretty far out to be sure I got the time I wanted. Oh and another nice little twist to throw in for my prom weekend?…we have a soccer game. Yep, same thing as last year.
My coach insists EVERY year to schedule a game on the day of prom, so then we all get to sprint from the game to our appointments with hardly a shower. I guess he likes to keep us busy.
Enough with the prom talk, I’m sure I will have plenty to say after the weekend. Let’s talk about these bars! I have never had a nanaimo bar, but had heard about them and have been intrigued for a while now. This is a peanut butter version, and guys…you NEED these in your life! They are super decadent little bites of a chocolate-coconut graham cracker crust, with a smooth peanut butter filling, topped with a thin shell of chocolate. Yum!
Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars
(Makes 36 small bars)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder (I used dark)
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups (1 sleeve/9 crackers) graham cracker crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
FOR MIDDLE LAYER:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
2 Tablespoons vanilla pudding powder
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR TOP LAYER:
4 oz. semisweet chocolate
- Melt the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder in a double boiler until fully incorporated (don’t let it come to a boil). Add the beaten egg and stir constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the graham cracker crumbs and coconut. Press down firmly into an ungreased 8 x8-inch or 9 x9-inch pan. Let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract, instant pudding powder, and powdered sugar, until light and fluffy. Spread filing over crust layer in an even layer. Pop pan in fridge for about 30 minutes to let it firm up a bit.
- Melt the chocolate for the top layer, spread over the filling and spread out evenly with a knife or spatula. Let sit in fridge for about 1 hour, then slice into bars and keep in sealed container. I keep them in the fridge to stay firm.
Random Fact of the Day: Only 1 out of 700 identity thieves gets caught
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Mousse Frosting (whatchamakinnow.blogspot.com)
- The Great Nanaimo Bar Search (1000wonderfulthings.com)
- The Best Nanaimo Bar in Nanaimo – Contestant Number 6 (girlwithadogandgoodshoes.wordpress.com)