I have to say, zucchini has shocked me. I never fully appreciated zucchini until recently.
Zucchini is an awesome and super beneficial vegetable that is low in calories, aids in digestion, maintains low blood sugar, curbs overeating, provides fiber for your diet, has plenty of vitamins A and C which act as powerful antioxidants, and provides you with loads of potassium. Zucchini can be easily “sneaked” into baked breads and whatnot, aaaand it also tastes great in savory dishes like the one I’m sharing with you all today.
You will fall in love with this zucchini parmesan. You’re going to want to make a big dish of this if you are serving it for your family. It is a good idea to double the recipe if you are planning on serving this as a meal with a salad and bread. We ate this as a side with ravioli and bread, but I will for sure enjoy it again in the future as the main dish, doubling the recipe.
Remember, when you double the recipe, you need to double the baking time!
Layered Zucchini Parmesan
(as a side, serves 3)
1 1/2 medium zucchinis
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup colby jack cheese
1/4 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
3/4 cup pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cooking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice zucchinis into about 1/3 inch slices, try your best to make them uniform size. Place slices in a medium size bowl and lightly coat with about 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Set aside
- In a medium-small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon each is good)
- Coat zucchini slices in breadcrumb mixtures, then lay flat on sprayed cooking sheet. Coat all zucchini slices, and once all of them are placed on cooking sheet, bake in preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Watch carefully and be sure they don’t burn!
- Remove zucchini slices from oven, and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, coat the bottom of a baking dish, I used a round casserole dish (about 8 inches in diameter) with a layer of pasta sauce. Next, lay a layer of the baked zucchini slices on top of the pasta sauce, use about half of them. Then layer a mixture of the colby jack and parmesan cheese on top of the zucchini slices. Layer again with pasta sauce, then zucchini, then cheese, until everything is used up. You should end with a layer of cheese on top. At this point, you may cover the dish and place it in the fridge to bake the next day, or you may bake it now if you plan on eating it right away.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F and bake uncovered dish for about 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Random Fact of the Day: 7-11 sells 10,000 pots of coffee an hour, every hour, every day.
- Baked Rigatoni with Zucchini and Beef | Dinner | Best Recipes | Babble (babble.com)
- Zucchini with Shallots and Parmesan | Babble (babble.com)
- Parmesan-Ranch Oven Fries | Babble (babble.com)